I self-harmed for a long time, and I am left with a lot of scars.
I haven’t done it in about six months, which is pretty neat. most of the time, the scars don’t bother me, and I don’t mind having my hoodie sleeves rolled back. I have some extremely raised scars on my upper arms and shoulders, but I rarely wear anything that shows those mostly because my arms are fat and gross and I hate that more than my scars.
the scars didn’t start making me feel horrible until recently. sometimes people are rude or ignorant, and say extremely tactless things to me in public. a lot of people were asking me if I did it ‘for fashion’ or something. no???? are you dumb???
and some people have been kind and told me about their problems and showed me their scars.
my biggest concern now, though, is getting a job. I have a job coach kind of thing given to me by the state (I am ‘disabled’ in terms of mental health) and while I definitely have issues getting motivated and having any desire to work, my problem is not that. it is my scars.
my job coach person is helping me find employment in an animal care field. most places we have applied to do not allow visible tattoos (I have some finger tattoos, a hand tattoo, and several wrist/arm tattoos, but they are small) or facial piercings, the latter of which I can change… but I don’t understand how I’m supposed to obtain a job if most places I want to work in are so strict about their employees not having a bunch of small, non-offensive tattoos. I had a short internship at a local animal hospital when I was in an animal care college course, and I wasn’t allowed my lip piercing, but I could have my nose stud and they didn’t mind the tattoos or said anything about my scars BECAUSE IT DIDN’T AFFECT MY WORK, AT ALL.
but anyway, what I’m supposed to do, it seems, is hide my scars until I secure the job, and then wear their little short sleeved uniforms and hope they don’t find a reason that isn’t blatant discrimination to fire me.
because I know that no employer wants a ‘disfigured’ worker. that isn’t right, but humans are terrible and companies are worse. I know I am protected under the ADA thing, but I have no doubt that they would find any reason to fire me if I hid the scars from them until my first day on the job. and they wouldn’t hire me if they were visible in the first place.
what can I do?
- whatacatchstump likes this
- yoursecretsmystories likes this
- priscilladelic likes this
- killmy-pain reblogged this from snooxeisen
- lifes-nonstop-challenges reblogged this from snooxeisen
- laminasfieis likes this
- kidrauhloaks likes this
- ignorancexisntxbliss reblogged this from lovealwaysariella
- lovealwaysariella reblogged this from snooxeisen and added:
- slowlydriftingawaay reblogged this from careless-ignorance
- careless-ignorance reblogged this from men4ced
- men4ced reblogged this from snooxeisen
- foriamjustadreamer likes this
- unscrewedyetilluminating reblogged this from snooxeisen
- suicide-and-smiles reblogged this from snooxeisen
- ketchup-n-skittles likes this
- give-me-your-heart-and-your-hand likes this
- insignificantdeath reblogged this from snooxeisen
- brookeshenaniganss reblogged this from it-hurts-right-now
- it-hurts-right-now reblogged this from snooxeisen
- see-understand reblogged this from thereweretearsinhereyes
- sloth-sentral likes this
- discoloured-painting reblogged this from titssandtatss
- someonecarrymeaway reblogged this from justabitbroken
- brun3tt3rapunz3limprison3d reblogged this from justabitbroken
- justabitbroken reblogged this from snooxeisen
- deanosaurs likes this
- nopety-nope-nope reblogged this from the-demon-haunts-our-souls
- the-demon-haunts-our-souls reblogged this from snooxeisen
- featherbows likes this
- oppabohemianstyle answered: At home jobs? Tutoring? Anything low-key like that…
- p0nding-pa1e likes this
- torybennettx reblogged this from snooxeisen
- torybennettx likes this
- caitlinherringe-x reblogged this from snooxeisen
- lez-be-fri3nds reblogged this from razors-my-friends
- -beautifully-b-r-0-k-e-n- reblogged this from stitched-together
- -beautifully-b-r-0-k-e-n- likes this
- hopelesslycourt likes this
- dustiesfictioneverafter likes this
- alicehasdied reblogged this from fishsister
- walk-in-the-park-with-satan reblogged this from scarlet-chaos
- empty-bird-sounds likes this
- cockpancake likes this
- schizophrenic-cyanide likes this
- untilthequiet likes this
- acid-washed-roses reblogged this from thereweretearsinhereyes
- thisisjustmylifeokay reblogged this from skinghost
- st4rbucks-addict reblogged this from differentthesamelifeisagame
- days-fly-bye answered: Don’t hide who you are or what you’ve been through. If you find the right employer they’ll appreciate the honesty. Stay strong <3